Recently, my wife and I hosted a large group at our home. Some of our best friends were hosting their former exchange student from Sweden. She along with her family were visiting the United States. We wanted a casual and easy meal, we could prepare for 18 people that showcased American food. What could be more South Carolinian than fresh peaches?
Years ago I lost a cooking contest to our former mayor who made delectable grilled peaches so they are a crowd, favorite for sure! Here is this easy recipe sure to please everyone from the youngest kid to the oldest adult.
- 4 ripe peaches
- 8 teaspoons brown sugar (about 2 teaspoons per peach)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- Edisto honey, for drizzling
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios, crushed
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
1. Preheat your grill to medium heat.
2. Cut the peaches in half and remove the pits. Place the peach halves cut side up on a baking sheet or platter.
3. Sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of brown sugar evenly over the cut side of each peach half.
4. Pour the melted butter over the peaches, making sure to coat them well. Allow them to sit for about 30 minutes to marinate and absorb the flavors. Cover the peaches in plastic wrap, so they do not turn brown.
5. While the peaches are marinating, preheat your grill to medium heat. Make sure the grill grates are clean and lightly oiled to prevent sticking.
6. Place the peach halves, cut side down, on the grill. Grill for about 5 minutes, or until you have nice grill marks on the peel side.
7. Flip the peaches over using tongs and continue grilling for an additional 3-4 minutes on the cut side. The peaches should be tender and slightly caramelized.
8. Remove the grilled peaches from the grill and transfer them to a serving platter or individual plates.
9. Drizzle Edisto honey over the grilled peaches, allowing it to drip into the crevices.
10. Sprinkle the crushed roasted pistachios over the peaches, distributing them evenly.
11. Serve the grilled peaches immediately while they're still warm. Accompany each serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Enjoy the delicious combination of sweet, caramelized peaches with the crunchy pistachios and creamy ice cream.